Hawaii Tax Information
The state of Hawaii does not assess state sales tax on consumers. Instead, the state assesses GET on businesses for the sale of goods.
Notes for the GET:
- Businesses have the ability to pass along the GET to cardholders.
- If a business sells goods to the federal government, the sale is exempt and the business may claim a deduction.
- Should the vendor not claim a deduction, the assessment of GET is allowable as it is not a state sales tax.
Laws, Regulations, Policies
- Tax Facts 37-1 General Excise Tax
- An Introduction to the Transient Accommodations Tax [PDF, 22 pages]
Point of Contact
- Hawaii Department of Taxation
Updated February 15, 2023