If Fraud Has Already Occurred

If an account holder reports fraud, it is your responsibility to contact the issuing bank for further investigation.  The bank will block/cancel the account and replace it immediately.  If you suspect an account holder is guilty of fraud, you can file a complaint with your agency’s Inspector General.  Investigations are initiated upon receipt of a complaint or other information that gives a reasonable account of the wrongful or fraudulent act.  Many agencies provide fraud hotline numbers to report fraud.  Be as specific as possible when calling or sending a complaint.  The following should be provided:

  • The employee's full name
  • Rank or pay grade
  • Duty station
  • Specific suspected fraudulent act or wrong doing
  • Specific dates and times
  • Specific location of where the suspected fraudulent act occurred
  • How the individual completed the alleged fraudulent act

Based on the findings of the investigation, you may be required to notify an employee’s supervisor and human resources office for further internal administrative action.  Depending on the action you may also need to contact other organizations including:

  • The bank’s fraud unit
  • The Inspector General
  • The Fraud Hotline
  • The DOD Criminal Investigative Service (DCIS)
  • The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
  • The Naval Criminal Investigation Service (NCIS)
  • The U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Service (USACIDC)
  • The Air Force Office of Special Investigators (AFOSI)