Sustainable Acquisition or Green Purchasing refers to the procurement of products and services that have a lesser or reduced effect on human health and the environment when compared with competing products or services that serve the same purpose.
Benefits to using your purchase account to buy green products are that you help your agency to perform its mission while:
- Saving money,
- Enhancing energy security,
- Protecting public health,
- Promoting environmental stewardship,
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and
- Fostering markets for sustainable technologies, materials, products and services.
In addition, regulations require federal buyers to purchase products with specific environmental or energy attributes and services under which those products will be used or supplied.
As an account holder, you can implement several environmentally friendly best practices to reduce your carbon footprint including:
- Eliminating the use of paper by signing up for online or paperless statements and payments
- Reduce the need to copy and print by taking advantage of online reporting. If you do need to print, use recycled paper and ink cartridges.
- Reduce the use of convenience checks.
- Request a GSA SmartPay charge card that is made from recycled or environmentally friendly materials.
- When shopping, use your GSA SmartPay account to purchase environmentally friendly or recycled products. Use the GSA Advantage! Environmental Aisle to procure green products and services to maximum extent practicable.
- Inquire about any green purchasing training offered at your agency.
The Buy Green Products, Services, and Vehicles website provides more information and resources.