Describe some of your responsibilities related to the GSA SmartPay program.
As the Agency Program Coordinator (APC), some of my responsibilities include:
- Providing oversight and guidance to the cardholders and approving officials, Contract Specialist, and management on the Purchase Card Program.
- Ensuring compliance with the Principles of Federal Appropriations Law, Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Office of Management and Budget Circular No. A-123 Appendix B - Improving the Management of Government Charge Card Programs, and the Corporation for National and Community Services regulations.
- Writing policies that govern operations of the Purchase Card Program.
- Serving as the liaison between the agency, providing bank, cardholders, approving officials and GSA.
- Managing and revamping the Government Purchase Card Program to be more effective, proficient and professional by providing excellent communication skills to internal and external customers.
- Setting up new accounts and closing accounts, as needed.
- Conducting internal audits, as well as developing and implementing updated departmental operations manual and guidance.
- Issuing and updating Cardholder and Approving Official DPAs (Delegation of Procurement Authority) and training certifications.
- Reviewing, analyzing, and determining questionable transactions; along with other data mining reports to avoid fraud, waste and abuse.
- Detecting any risk management to the program.
How does your agency/organization use the GSA SmartPay program to accomplish its mission?
The GSA SmartPay program assists CNCS to accomplish our mission by alleviating the time it would normally take to do a lot of paperwork that is done in the procurement arena for purchasing goods and services. Our staff and volunteers are called out in the field to assist with disaster areas like the Louisiana and Texas floods, and Hurricane Katrina. In cases of emergencies, our field staff, on the frontline, have access to the purchase card to procure the necessary goods and services to accomplish the urgent necessities for our volunteers in disaster recoveries, response, and preparedness.
What are three words to describe the GSA SmartPay Program?
- Convenience – The GSA SmartPay purchase card procures the necessary goods and services with a swipe.
- Service – As an A/OPC, I can provide the needed means to help those who serve the country through their volunteerism and assist them in accomplishing their goals.
- Networking – The GSA SmartPay program provides me with the opportunity to network with other agency peers to gain better knowledge and business practices to allow cardholders to perform their tasks without the unnecessary red tape. I also work collaboratively with the Center for Charge Card Management (CCCM) Team, which meets our needs by providing us with assistance with government processes.
What’s one piece of advice that you’d offer to account holders?
First, cardholders should have the taxpayers in mind and should understand the importance of their role in using the charge card responsibly. I suggest that cardholders try to identify innovative ways to leverage the purchasing power of the government and improve processes to help them do their jobs more effectively and efficiently. I also advise cardholders to ensure that they pay their accounts in a timely manner to achieve higher rebates/refunds in their spending productivity. I encourage cardholders to have effective communication with the A/OPC and to look for ways to expand the program. Lastly, I emphasize to cardholders that they must adhere to the Agency’s policies and regulations to avoid fraud, waste and abuse within the program.
What’s one fact/piece of information about the GSA SmartPay program that you’d like to share with the general public?
The GSA SmartPay program is advantageous to the government, as well as to the private sector and small businesses
(for business opportunities). The discounts, rebates and refunds that are received back to the agency for productivity on goods
and services are significant. There are huge savings benefits associated with the taxpayer’s dollars spent through the GSA