The Department of State’s Major Management And Performance ChallengesView full audit
This report was provided in accordance with the Reports Consolidation Act of 2000. Each year, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) for the Department of State (Department) identifies the most serious management and performance challenges facing the Department and provides a brief assessment of the Department’s progress in addressing those challenges.
It was recommended that the Department of State:
- Develop new training and expand the content of current training.
- Conduct a webinar on coordinating with various offices and bureaus.
- Update emergency action plans and have updated consular emergency preparedness documents, processes and training for numerous overseas missions.
- Create an office responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing the risk assessments and mitigation plans for critical environment contracts.
- Update its Management Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Invest in technology that enhances records-keeping and reporting.
- Develop an annual acquisition plan.
- Establish management and monitoring procedures.
- Provide guidance to Contracting Officer’s Representatives (CORs) and Government Technical Monitors (GTMs) on performing assigned duties.
- Issue guidance defining the procedures for reporting deficiencies.