Best Practice: Before booking your hotel, call ahead to verify state tax law compliance. If your hotel does not comply with state tax law, it is recommended that you chose an alternate hotel.
Am I exempt from state taxes?
IBA/ Travel Card - Yes, IBA cards are exempt.
CBA/ Purchase Card - Yes, CBA cards are exempt.
What forms if any will I need?
Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Form
Sales Tax Exemption Certificate
Who is the main point of contact?
Texas Tax Assistance and Customer Service: Sales and Use Taxes
What are the important links?
Are there any additional information or instructions?
Amazon Tax Exemption Program (ATEP)
Items purchased through Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries and shipped to this state are subject to tax. However, the Federal Government may receive tax exemption in these states by Enrolling in the “Amazon Tax Exemption Program (ATEP).”
How to Enroll in the Amazon Tax Exemption Program:
- Log in to Amazon.com and place your cursor over “Your Account” on the top right corner of the screen
- On the drop-down menu, select “Your Account”
- Scroll down to “Settings” and select “Amazon Tax Exemption Program”
- Upload the Tax Exemption Form
- Accept the Terms & Conditions, if authorized to do so
- Select “Upload” and complete the remaining steps to complete enrollment
Are surcharges allowed in this state?
Even though VISA/ MasterCard have eliminated the prohibition against credit card surcharges, merchants in this state are barred from imposing surcharges because it is illegal under state law.