GSA SmartPay

Kansas State Information


Best Practice:   Before booking your hotel, call ahead to verify state tax law compliance. If your hotel does not comply with state tax law, it is recommended that you chose an alternate hotel.

Am I exempt from state taxes only?

IBA/ Travel Card - The cardholder’s state tax lodging is exempt only when on official government travel, has a Government ID, and one the Exemption Certificates below is presented to the hotel.  Outside of lodging when using the IBA Travel card other purchases (travel expenses) are taxable if the sixth digit of the account number is 1, 2, 3, or 4. 

CBA/ Purchase Card - Yes, CBA cards are exempt. 

What forms if any will I need?
CBA/IBA (Lodging) - Form ST-28G (Rev. 1/09)
CBA/IBA Travel Form ST-28H Sales and/or Transient Guest Tax Exemption Certificate (2/14)

Who is the main point of contact?
Kansas Department of Revenue
Phone: (785) 368-8222

What are the important links?
Kansas Department of Revenue

Are there any additional information or instructions?
Kansas DOR Sales Tax Exemptions
Kansas Exemption Certificates (Sales Tax Exemption)

Amazon Tax Exemption Program (ATEP)
Items purchased through LLC, or its subsidiaries and shipped to this state are subject to tax.  However, the Federal Government may receive tax exemption in these states by Enrolling in the “Amazon Tax Exemption Program (ATEP).”

How to Enroll in the Amazon Tax Exemption Program

  1. Log in to and place your cursor over “Your Account” on the top right corner of the screen
  2. On the drop-down menu, select “Your Account”
  3. Scroll down to “Settings” and select “Amazon Tax Exemption Program”
  4. Upload the Tax Exemption Form
  5. Accept the Terms & Conditions, if authorized to do so
  6. Select “Upload” and complete the remaining steps to complete enrollment

Are surcharges allowed in this state?
Even though VISA/ MasterCard have eliminated the prohibition against credit card surcharges, merchants in this state are barred from imposing surcharges because it is illegal under state law.

*Updated 3/31/14




© 2015 GSA

This is an official U.S. Government Web site managed by the GSA.