SmartPay TwitterSmartPay FacebookSmartPay LinkedIn


GSA SmartPay

Alaska State Tax Information


What payment solution am I using?  (Not sure? Click here to find out how to identify your account)
IBA Travel Account:  Yes, Alaska does not have state sales and use tax. 
CBA Travel Account:  Yes, Alaska does not have state sales and use tax. 
GSA SmartPay Tax Advantage Travel Card Account:  Yes, includes CBAs that are exempt for lodging and rental cars only. 
Purchase Account (CBA):  Yes, Alaska does not have state sales and use tax. 

Note:  The GSA SmartPay Tax Advantage Travel Card Account will not be available until November 30, 2018.
Note:  Local sales taxes may be assessed. An example of a local tax in the city Anchorage is a "bed tax" which may be assessed when using the travel card. Government employees are not exempt from the bed tax and must pay when required.

What forms if any will I need?

Alaska Vehicle Rental Tax Government Use Exemption Certificate 

Who is the main point of contact?
Tax Division:  (907)-343-6964

What are the important links?

Alaska Tax Division

Are there any additional information or instructions?
Alaska imposes a separate excise tax on rental vehicles. Government employees are exempt from this tax, but, in order to qualify for exemption they need to submit the Vehicle Rental Tax Use Exemption Certificate listed above. 

*Updated 06/13/17

© 2019 GSA

This is an official U.S. Government Web site managed by the GSA.

SmartPay TwitterSmartPay FacebookSmartPay LinkedIn