Section 889 Tools
Section 889 of the John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year 2019 (P.L. 115-232) and the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) Case 2018-017 prohibit the purchase of covered telecommunications equipment and services from vendors who sell products containing spyware. These devices could pose a threat to U.S. security by spying on or disrupting communications within the U.S.
The General Services Administration (GSA) – in partnership with NASA – has joined the Department of Defense (DoD) in developing tools to assist account holders with finding Section 889 representations/certifications.
Section 889 Easy Search Tool
- The Section 889 Easy Search Tool checks for Section 889 representations in a vendor's System for Award Management (SAM) record at SAM.gov.
- Only vendors doing business above the micro-purchase threshold (MPT) are required to register in SAM.gov.
- Contracts that are For Official Use Only (FOUO) or classified, and contractors that do not wish for their information to be publicly available, will not show up in search results.
- If a vendor representation is not available, account holders may still be permitted to purchase from a listed vendor. However, the account holder would be responsible for documenting compliance with Section 889 in accordance with agency requirements.
DoD’s Section 889 Request Bot
- This tool is a robotic process automation (RPA) capability developed by DoD’s Defense Pricing and Contracting (DPC).
- To learn a vendor’s 889 information, users email firstname.lastname@example.org with the vendor’s Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) code or Unique Entity ID (UEI) in the subject line. Please note that:
- For CAGE code requests, ensure that the email subject line is exactly 5 characters long.
- For UEI requests, ensure that the email subject line is exactly 12 characters long.
- To avoid error messages, do not include additional text in the email’s subject line or in the body of the email.
- After sending a request, users will generally receive an email response within five minutes.
- The email response identifies if the vendor is registered in the System for Award Management (SAM), if they have completed the representations required by the FAR 52.204-26 provision and what responses were provided.
- This capability gives Contracting Officers and users a quick way to check SAM.
- Section 889 Toolkit
- Section 889 Bot Instruction Guide
- Section 889 Bot FAQs
- Section 889 Bot Operation Update as of 1/20/23
For more information on the NDAA Section 889 legislation, please visit policies.