Signing up for your GSA SmartPay Travel Charge Account
If you are a first time GSA SmartPay travel account applicant, your agency is required to assess your credit worthiness pursuant to Section 846 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2006 (Public Law 109-115), prior to issuing you a travel account.
Refer to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-123, Appendix B, Chapter 6, credit worthiness, for more details or contact your agency’s program coordinator to get details on the process used for assessing credit worthiness.
To receive a GSA SmartPay® travel account, you will need to fill out the appropriate application from the bank. To do this, you must:
- Obtain an application through your Agency’s program coordinator (A/OPC)
- Provide an address where your GSA SmartPay® travel charge card will be mailed (at most agencies, this is your home address).
- Provide an identifier to activate your GSA SmartPay® travel account.
- Indicate whether you will have ATM access (you can find this out from your A/OPC).
Know your responsibilities in accepting a government travel account. Be aware that:
- You are personally liable and responsible for all charges whether or not you are reimbursed by your agency;
- Your credit rating may be affected if the account has been cancelled;
- You may be subject to disciplinary action and/or salary offset for late payment.
- Sign the form (you may need to have your supervisor sign it also).
- Submit the signed form to your A/OPC who will verify it to make sure all necessary information is provided (your A/OPC will send it to the bank).
Receiving Your GSA SmartPay Travel Account
You will receive your government travel account in the mail within 10 days from the time the application is submitted. If you have ATM authorization, the bank will mail the PIN separately (for security reasons). You should receive your ATM PIN within a few days of receiving your GSA SmartPay® travel account.
When you receive your travel account:
- Read the Cardholder Agreement. This is very important information.
- Sign the back of your travel charge card.
- Follow the instructions to activate your travel account.
- Store your travel charge card in a secure location until you are ready to travel.